MotoGP: Joan Mir brands Miller’s move “Super dangerous” and “Intentional”
Joan Mir does not feel that his incident with Jack Miller was accidental.
Jack Miller and 2020 MotoGP champion Joan Mir came together multiple times during the Doha GP before it finally escalated to full-on contact during the race which Joan Mir feels was an intentional move by the Aussie Jack Miller.
Earlier in the same lap, Joan Mir overtook Miller at turn 10 in a move which wasn’t the cleanest by anyone’s standards with Miller being forced wide and Mir raising his leg to apologise, however this wasn’t enough for Miller who took the law into his own hands and barged into Mir on the main straight. To many this could be deemed as accidental given the raised adrenaline levels of the race, but Mir feels it was purposeful with Jack staring straight at him before barging into him with his shoulder.
Speaking to media after the race Mir said, “What happened with Jack in turn 10 is that it was the only place I could overtake,” said Mir. “I took the right position. He decided to stay on the outside. He maintained his line. We touched a bit. I picked up the bike.”
“I understand it was a risky manoeuvre, but it was not over the limits. It was OK. I moved the leg to apologise because when something like this happened in a race I like to apologise, I like to avoid it.
“Then I was wide in the last corner, when I went wide, I saw Jack. He moved his head like he saw me and I went to the kerb, on the outside of the line as much as I could. He just came across over me and we both touched, we almost crashed on the straight. It was super risky, super dangerous. That’s it.”
Mir then opened up the floodgates stating that he felt it was intentional, “I think it was intentional, my team will judge if they have to appeal, it has to be investigated. These manoeuvres are over the limit, if it was intentional like I said, he deserves a penalty. If not, no, but I think he moved his head. I think Jack didn’t show respect in this case.”
Suzuki have confirmed that they will not appeal the decision made by the stewards to not hand out any punishments to both riders with Miller also commenting after the race on the incident saying, “There were few contacts but, it was the way that the race was going, there seemed to be a bit of contact here and there. It was just one of those things.
“We’ve both seen what happened and we continued to race after that, so not much really on that side of things. I got hit, I think three times already before.”
Both drop out of the top six! 👀#DohaGP 🏁 pic.twitter.com/6ZZLW8qAKE
— MotoGP™🏁 (@MotoGP) April 4, 2021
Featured image – Suzuki